The gyromitrin poisoning syndromeIntoxication caused by the ingestion of certain ascomycetes, mostly dangerous when eaten raw, half-cooked, cooked in a enclosed area or without discarding the cooking water. Children are most sensitive to it, as well as persons affected by favisme (deficiency in G6 PD = Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase, common in people of Mediterranean or African origins), therefore most sensitive to the methylhydrazine produced by the decomposition of gyromitrine in the stomach. Incubation : long (from 4 to 48 hours).
toxic compounds involved: gyromitrine, a derivative of hydrazine, and most specifically monomethylhydrazine, produced by the decomposing of gyromitrine in the stomach (lethal laboratory dose : 1 mg of gyromitrine /kg)
Signs of intoxication : irregular and variable symptoms
- Usually first signs are digestive disorders (6 to 12 hours after ingestion) : vomitting, diarrhea
- headaches, fever (the only intoxication by mushrooms causing this)
After a recovery which is only apparent, in some cases a second phase may start (36 to 48 heures later) with :
- neurological disorders (altered consciousness, delirium)
- periods of sleep alternating with crisis of convulsions, cramps, muscular hypertonicity
- weak and irregular pulse
- alteration of liver (sometimes with jaundice) and kidneys, which may lead to death
- take to hospital immediately
Responsible species :
- Members of the Gyromitra genus: False Morel, Giant Gyromitra, Pouched False Morel, and other species of this genus.
- certain other ascomycetes : Jelly Babies aka Yellow Nail Fungus, The Spatulate Fungus, Cudonia circinans, etc.
Other intoxications by mushrooms
page updated on 25/06/15<!maj>