The hemolytic syndrome

Incubation : short (from 30 minutes to 6 hours)

Toxic compounds involved : hemolysing glycoproteins, hemolysin causing the destruction of red blood cells

Signs of intoxication : disgestive disorders, nausea, vomiting, jaundice (sometimes paralysis of muscles leading to death in the most serious cases)

Many edible mushrooms contain hemolysins, which are destroyed by heat. Incidents occur only when these species are eaten raw or insufficiently cooked. The consumption of Morels (Morchella group) either hardly cooked or eaten in too vast quantities can also lead to the cerebellar syndrome, occuring 5 to 6 hours after ingestion, causing neurological disorders such as dizziness, trembling, eye problems

Treatment : take to hospital immediately

Responsible species :

Other intoxications by mushrooms

page updated on 25/06/15